Saturday, October 24, 2009

Today a man died in my arms. There was nothing I could do.

Today a man died in my arms. There was nothing I could do. Returning home with Lydia I came across a man lying on the ground, face down on the pavement turning blue. Standing above him some young guy frantically trying to get through to the emergency services, pacing around desperately looking for someone to take charge.

For my sins that person turned out to be me. I frantically tried to recall my school first aid lessons, as flashbacks from ER crossed my mind. He wasn't breathing, I couldn't find a pulse and his eyes were open. I will never forget those eyes, an empty promise that this was just a dream, a bad dose of unwanted reality. I gave him the kiss of life while pounding on his chest from time to time. The eyes never closed.

Then the ambulance arrived and the crew went about their job, administering artificial respiration, electric shocks , IV's to no avail. He died there for no apparent reason, his shopping strewn around him.

2 comments:

BristleKRS said...

Shit - heavy stuff indeed. Keep on keeping on.

deviousdiva said...

TD, you are really having a very difficult time recently. I am so sorry. I am thinking of you and sending you much love. Take care.