Monday, August 07, 2006

Do you want to party!!!



Thanks, I don't mind if I do. Another little difference that took me by surprise here in Greece was the way people celebrate their kid's birthday. I remember the first birthday party I was invited to years ago. Thinking that the guest of honour was just five years old I took it for granted that there wouldn't be much of a dress code. Imagine my surprise when everyone there was dressed up as if they were going to a job interview. I realised from the hostess's slightly aghast look that jeans and a t-shirt were not what was expected of me.

Everyone sat around sipping their coffee or fruit juice making polite small talk whilst explaining in mind - numbing detail to anyone who would listen the latest achievements of little Kostas or Maria. Not being a parent myself at the time it seemed like I had been assigned to one of the milder circles of Hell.

Sartre was wrong, Hell is not other people, it's other people's kids. LOL.

Anyhow, Lydia's party is not going to be anything of the sort. It's just pizza, cola, crisps and beer (for the grown - ups, may I hasten to add). The party will be tomorrow at 8pm - ish and if you want to come send me an email and I'll let you know where we are and how to get here

Dress: Well, wear something at least, it's a conservative neighbourhood

Attitude: Anything, short of Mel Gibson - style antics, will be fine.

Presents: Lydia is particularly fond of Amstel and fine single malt whisky. Just kidding, come as you are.

2 comments:

Mr. D'Onofrio said...

Yes! I want to rock and roll all night, and party every day!!!!

teacher dude said...

Well, pop by, we have plenty of soda to spare, party animal!