Saturday, June 17, 2006

Whoooosssshhhh (2)


The city I grew up in is changing so quickly that it seems breathtaking. The centre which used to be filled with truely awful 70's Neo-Brutalist architect is getting a makeover and the skyline is filled with cranes. I keep on getting lost as the old landmarks I used, in the past, to navigate by have disappeared, now just gapping holes in the ground.

I suppose that I should feel outrage or at least unease that so many of the things I grew up with have gone, yet I find myself full of joy and expectation. What will take the place of the dire buildings that have blighted the place for so long?

On another note I went to the centre and came across, I don't know what to call it, lets say a festival, designed to promote a some weird form, urban mutation of orientering. In addition to people doing their thing on skateboards and BMX(?)s there was live music. I've forgotten what rock/ music felt like. I mean literally feels like, the kind of stuff that makes your sternum resonate. I cannot convey how great it was. The band playing were all teenagers whose sound just blew me away.

See here for link

2 comments:

Theodora Papapanagiotou said...

I guess you have to re-descover things in your hometown! Isn't that exciting though?

teacher dude said...

Yes. it's great fun. Plus the weather is really warm. I'm starting to wonder if it ever rains here. LOL