Friday, June 09, 2006

A Flat Earth moment


I had another Flat Earth moment today when I took part in my first successful Skypecast organised by an American teacher of English with people from;

Japan
Korea
Brazil
Italy
Malaysia

While there were technical problems (not least being the noise from the traffic from my end drowning others out - sorry about that). It struck me as utterly amazing that anyone with a PC and access to a broadband connection (which I don't have yet - hence the choice of the park as a wifi access point) can organise a meeting with people from all over the planet at absolutely no cost and with only minimal technical skills.

I'm starting to understand how people like Marconi, Edison and the Wright brother must have felt. We are on the cusp of a new reality, the consequences of which will be beyond our wildest imaginings. The possibilities of such cheap, planet wide communication will change completely so many of the economic structures we take for granted today.

2 comments:

melusina said...

It is quite amazing. I'm still holding out for teleportation, though.

teacher dude said...

That takes an 8mb connection at least, still worth the money. LOL